Peace is something that we all strive for. It’s the feeling of calm and tranquility that we all want to experience. But sometimes, it can be hard to find peace in our lives. There are so many things that can cause us stress and anxiety, from the news channels to our personal lives. But there are also many things that we can do to find peace, even in the midst of chaos.
Peace is not something that we can find overnight. It takes time, effort, and practice. But it is something that is worth striving for. Peace can make our lives more fulfilling and enjoyable. It can also help us to better deal with the challenges that life throws our way.
As a Christian life coach, I’ve learned that a peaceful mindset is biblical but not always easy to achieve. It takes commitment. It also requires us to be willing to let go of things that are not serving us well. But it is worth it. Peace of mind is one of the most precious gifts that God has promised to those that belong to Him. It allows us to live our lives with joy, purpose, and meaning.
As I thought about God’s promise of perfect peace, a prior coaching session I had with a client, Carla (not her real name), came to mind.
Carla was sitting in the small sofa chair near me, and her hands nervously fidgeting with her purse strap. I could sense that her heart was filled with many years of building anxiety. The enemy had been convincingly hard at work.
Carla had been a Christian for many years, but she had never really experienced the peace that the Bible promises. She had always felt like she was fighting an uphill battle against anxiety and worry. But she was determined to find peace, and she was willing to do whatever it took to get it.
“Would you like to find out what God says about worry and anxiety?”
“Yes, I would,” said Carla, her small voice filled with a sound of hope and determination.
“Good,” I replied confidently, remembering the time when worry and anxiety loomed like dark threatening clouds around me. I had faced the loss of everything that had held meaning in my life. I lost it all in one afternoon. I thought about that moment when my heart felt completely shattered and beyond repair. I worried about my future and how I would make it through financially and emotionally. I felt empty, abandoned, and alone. Then God stepped in and His comfort gave me the strength to move forward. I wondered: Could God work the same miracle for Carla as He had for me? The Holy Spirit gently replied: yes.
And so we continued. I started by coaching Carla through the process of identifying then listing the sources of her anxiety. She realized that a lot of her anxiety was coming from her fear of the future. She was worried about her job, her finances, and family. The list went on.
But Carla also realized that she was also anxious about the past. She was dwelling on mistakes that she had made, and she was regretting things that she had said and done.
Once Carla had identified the sources of her anxiety, I coached her on ways to work through them one at a time. We talked about how to live in the presence of God, and how to focus on the things that she could control. We also talked about how to forgive herself for her mistakes, and how to move on from the past.
It was a meaningful spiritual journey both for Carla and myself. And Carla eventually found the peace of heart that she so desperately wanted. She learned to live in God’s presence, and she learned to let go of things that were not serving her well. She also learned to forgive herself, and she learned to move on from the past.
If you are looking for peace in your life, there are a few things that you can do. First, it begins with prayer and a willing heart to experience the transformation that God wants for you. As a child of God, identify the sources of stress in your life. Once you know what is causing you stress, you can roll the care of it away and leave it at the feet of Jesus. Second, look for activities that make you feel peaceful. The Book of Psalms is a perfect place to start. And take the time every day to talk with Jesus.
Finally, don’t be afraid to ask for help if you need it. There is a difference between coaching and counseling. And there are many people who can offer you the right type of support, guidance, or coaching as you work to find peace in your life.
Here are some practical tips that may also help you walk in the God-kind of peace:
- Practice mindfulness. Mindfulness is the practice of paying attention to the present moment without judgment. There are many different ways to practice mindfulness, such as meditation, stretching, prayer or simply taking a few deep breaths. Envision the Spirit of God surrounding you like a cloak with His perfect peace.
- Spend time in nature. Spending time in nature has been shown to reduce stress and anxiety. Go for a walk in the park, take a hike in the woods, or just sit in your backyard and listen to the birds. Ask yourself, what does nature reveal about God’s love for me?
- Connect with others. Spending time with loved ones can help you to feel supported and loved. Make an effort to connect with friends, family and church on a regular basis.
- Help others. Helping others can help you to feel good about yourself and make a difference in the world. Volunteer your time, donate to a charity, or simply do something nice for someone else. Jesus said that we find out who we really are when we give of our time and gifting to others.
- Take care of yourself. Eating healthy, exercising, and getting enough sleep are all important for your physical and mental health. Remember, the Word of God says that you are the temple of God; take care of His temple, you are precious in His eyes.
Mary Buck, PhD / Christian Life Coach /
As God gets bigger in our lives–we get stronger!
MLBuck©2023 with the assistance of:
“Leonardo.ai.” Leonardo.ai, 2023, http://www.leonardo.ai/.
“BARD.” Bard.ai, 25 March. 2023, http://www.bard.ai/.